PCTFE (Polychlorotrifluoroethylene) is a homopolymer of Chlorotrifluoroethylene. The replacement of a single fluorine atom on the carbon backbone with a chlorine atom, changes the properties of the fluoropolymer to allow melt processing. Through melt processing PCTFE resin can be modified to give different mechanical and optical properties by controlling the crystalinity of the material.
The unique properties of PCTFE include:
- Cryogenic characteristics
- Excellent resistance to cold flow superior to other fluoropolymers
- The material is exceptionally suited as a valve component in cryogenic fluid service
- Resistance to stress cracking
- Offers resistance to corrosion by inorganic acids, alkalis and most organic solvents
- Resistance to weathering
PCTFE can be supplied in thin transparent sheets, with a very low crystaline structure, which offers exceptional optical properties, with the material looking similar to glass. PCTFE in this form is extensively used as sight glasses.
PCTFE can be moulded or extruded into rod, tube, sheet or plate to be CNC machined into a finished component. It can be supplied in a modified form as tape, oils, tubing, and as a coating.
AFT Fluorotec in Hertford recently manufactured PCTFE tubes over 700 mm in diameter to be used in the production of valve seats. A first for AFT Fluorotec to produce a hot moulded PCTFE tube at this size.
Expansion of our in house moulding capabilities allow us to offer improved lead times and pricing to our customers for these types of products. Our tube moulding capabilities in PEEK and PTFE have already reached 1000mm mm in diameter, and we will continue to expand our range of moulded tubes in melt fluoropolymers such as PCTFE as demanded by customers.
PCTFE facts – Did you know?
- PCTFE is a unique fluoropolymer that is capable of maintaining its physical properties at exceptionally low operating temperatures.
- PCTFE is the chemical name for Neoflon M 300h or M400 h which is produced by Daikin Fluoropolymers of Japan. Previously the material was also produced by 3M and branded as KEL F, production was discontinued in the 1990’s.
- PCTFE is commonly used as a valve seat material where a high performance sealing material is needed for use with cryogenic gases and or liquids down to a lowest operating temperature of -240 C.
- PCTFE absorbs virtually no moisture, meaning it offers great dimensional stability, and maintains its electrical properties in a high humidity environment.
- Other properties include exceptional chemical resistance, low deformation under load, and high compressive strength.
- PCTFE in thin sections can be made optically clear through adjustments in processing to alter the crystalinity of the PCTFE itself. Other properties can also be enhanced to a degree such as elasticity, mechanical strength and density
Real life uses for PCTFE:
LNG storage and transport applications where the materials stability at low temperature makes it an ideal choice as a ball valve seat or butterfly valve seat material.