The addition of Bronze to PTFE gives better dimensional stability and lowers creep, cold flow and wear. It increases hardness and compressive strength whilst also increasing thermal and electrical conductivity.
Bronze Filled PTFE is reinforced with bronze powder with the percentage varying between 40% and 60% depending on the needs of the application.
- Extremely hard wearing material
- Very heavy – high specific gravity
- Electrically conductive
- Low wear on dynamic counter surfaces
- Can have additional additives such as MOS2 to increase lubricity
- The best wear properties of any filled PTFE
- Great deformation strengths
- Good thermal conductivity
- Good creep resistance
- Not suitable for electrical applications
- Poor chemical resistance
Bronze filled PTFE is used extensively in the compressor industry. Wear rings, piston rings and bearing rings. High performance seals and wipers. It is an extremely versatile material.
Typical Physical Properties of bronze Filled PTFE Variations
|40% Bronze Filled||60% Bronze Filled|
|Specific Gravity||BS EN ISO 13000-2||3.0 – 3.12 g/cm3||3.8 – 3.95 g/cm3|
|Tensile Strength||BS EN ISO 13000-2||22 - 27 Mpa||10 -18 Mpa|
|Elongation||BS EN ISO 13000-2||230 – 270%||100 - 200%|
|Shore D Hardness||BS EN ISO 13000-2||65 - 68||65 - 75|